If you wish to join the choir you will first audition for the Musical Director. The aim of the audition is to evaluate sight reading ability and to see if your voice will suit the needs of the choir.
The following outlines the principles and details of the Astra Choir:
- rehearsals are every Wednesday evening from 7.30pm to 10pm between March and mid-December (or whenever the fnal concert concludes). Extra rehearsals including Saturday afternoons are also scheduled close to concert performance dates
- rehearsals are usually held at the Church of All Nations, 180 Palmerston Street, Carlton, on the corner of Drummond Street.
- it is important that all choir members are able to commit in advance to concerts in which they will be performing
- all choir members are required to pay an annual membership fee of $50/$25 concession. Choir members are also encouraged to become members of Astra Chamber Music Society Inc (at no extra cost). This entitles you to vote at the AGM and to become more involved in Astra's activities.
In support of Astra’s aims and objectives, Astra expects choir members to:
- respect and meet the musical director’s professional expectations and requirements to help him realise Astra’s creative vision
- value Astra’s aim to promote excellence and embrace the commitment to both new and old music
- attend rehearsals and to arrive before the start time so rehearsals can start promptly at 7.30 pm
- fulfil an expectation of attendance at all rehearsals but if unable to attend a rehearsal let either the Musical Director or the choir representative on the Committee of Management know via email or text before the commencement of rehearsal
- be responsible for scores and concert dress
- return all music to the music librarians at the end of a concert
- commit to compulsory attendance at dress rehearsals before a performance (unless otherwise discussed with the Musical Director)
- silence mobile phones and other electronic devices during rehearsals
If you would like to sing with us, please contact the Astra office to arrange an audition.